How to find an after school/after nursery nanny in London
Parents! We have bad news and we have good news for you!
Lets get the bad news out of the way first – We have been placing nannies since 2011 and after school/after nursery hours are the hardest to fill!
The good news? We are here to help you – every step of the way!
If you need after school/after nursery childcare – and your budget is tight – you may want to consider a childminder who will look after your child/children in their own home. Your local council should offer a list of local registered childminders – as they must by law be registered by OFSTED.
This is not the case for nannies and the register for nannies is voluntary so you can find an after school/after nursery nanny via our website. Browse our nanny profiles right here to take a look at our team. From our experience, here are our top tips for hiring an after school/after nursery nanny:
- The first top tip we always offer parents is to offer as much pay as possible per hour. In order to secure a good nanny for just after school hours we recommend paying a minimum of £12 per hour. We see an average of 50% more applicants to after school nanny jobs offering £12/hour compared to those offering £10. If many children are involved we recommend offering as much as you can possibly afford to ensure a great candidate.
- Many after school nannies will be studying in the day, or working a second job which may not be within childcare. We recommend thinking outside the box when it comes to hiring an after school nanny as most career nannies will be looking for full time work. You may end up employing somebody who works for you half the week and who works in a completely different environment the rest of the week!
- After school nanny + nanny share – yes this is a thing! Have you another family that you could partner with to have a nanny for just after school hours? Perhaps your children go to the same nursery/school so it could work out very well indeed. It is worth asking other mums and seeing if you can come to an arrangement together. Take a look at our blog post for starting a nanny share to get to grips with this.
- Have you space and capacity to hire a live-in nanny? This is a particularly good idea if you need wraparound care – childcare in the morning for an hour or so to drop the children to school and then again in the afternoon. This is a great way to solve this idea if you have the spare room at home. It also means you have somebody to call on for any extra babysitting or last minute childcare needs.
- Maybe you have found an ideal nanny but they simply need more hours from you to be able to survive financially. Could you discuss with them other things they might be happy to do for you – EG cooking some family meals, dog walking etc. It might be worth exploring these options to bump up the daily hours and to employ the person you really want.
- Take your time to write a really good job description so that what you write resonates with the right candidates. Post your job on our website today and if you choose a featured job post so you can contact as many of our nannies as you like. Browse nanny profiles here.
- Finally, make sure you start your search in advance. Finding childcare and making a hire can take anything up to a month so the sooner you start, the better.
We have over 7 years experience in placing nannies with many happy families across London. We are more than happy to answer any questions you have and if you are ready to post a job on our website you can do so here. Please call us if you have any questions on 0208 123 0105 or email us email@example.com
Jun 7, 2018